Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013
Observation #4

This past thursday in my lab I observed seed shrimp, identified by Professor McFarland (Patterson, 96). I also was able to find the seed shrimp shells where they hatched from. Their was only one but it swam around the mini tank very fast. It was hard to get a good look at it because of how fast it was moving. It stayed in the algae and periodically went down to the bottom in search of food.  As I looked longer under the microscope I was able to find more nematodes that were still stationed at the bottom of the mini tank. As I looked further into my algae, I found a very peculiar plant that was attached to one of the algae plants. It is a Vorticella sp. Mr. McFarland identified. I was finally able to identify the small large mass of objects moving around the mini tank. They are Colpidium sp. They are tending to stay in the middle of the tank. They like to keep in the plants, probably for protection. I am getting my five pictures together and will post them next week with the organisms I have observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment